Fishing Derby Rules 2022
There are 4 ways to win in the $2 Derby: (Must be present to win)
1. “Top 50”
Enter one of the 50 largest trout caught from the lake, (not the net pen fish school). Your fish must be weighed/measured at the official weigh station by noon. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you will select your “quality” top 50 prize in order (biggest fish first) at the end of the derby and surrender your ticket when you pick your prize.
2. “Top 51-100”
Fall in the 51-100 range? You will select a prize from a special table prior to the unveiling of the Top 50 so KEEP YOUR TICKET and surrender it after you pick your prize.
3. “Get It Now”
Choose not to wait and select from the “Get It Now” prize table. Also, if/when your fish falls out of the “Top 100” group (as posted at derby headquarters) you should select your prize immediately from this table. All fish caught/entered from the Fish School Net Pen will receive their prize here. You must surrender your ticket when you receive your prize.
4. “It’s Not Over Yet”
All those who selected from the “Get It Now” table may enter their derby ticket in this drawing for 5 additional “quality” prizes to be drawn at the end of the derby. Must be present to win. Tickets must be deposited before 12:00 noon. ANY SIZE FISH CAN WIN! Pen fish are not eligible for this entry.
The $5 Tagged Fish Ticket: Ticket must be purchased before midnight Friday, April 22, 2022. Tagged fish, if caught, must be accompanied by an official “tagged fish” derby ticket and verified by the derby chairman before 12:00 noon on Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Rules and Regulations
• Persons age 15 or older are required to have a state freshwater fishing license.
• Vehicle use permits are required for vehicles in the WDFW boat launch area.
• Remember lifejackets (children 12 and under must wear a PFD)! All boating safety regulations apply.
• No internal combustion engines allowed on boats.
• All boats and trailers will be checked and must be free of milfoil.
• Each boat must have a light and audible signal.
• ‘Hooked On Fishing’ is a drug and alcohol free event. Any violations of law will be strictly enforced. No alcoholic beverages are permitted in the park.
• Please dispose of trash in the litter receptacles.
• Limited overnight tent camping is available for Derby participants. All campers must register at the BECU tent. Setup begins at 3 p.m. on Friday, April 22nd. No RV’s—tent camping only!
• Parking is limited. Event volunteers will be on hand at the boat launch to facilitate launching of the boats and give further directions on trailer parking.
• NO campsite campfires. (The City of Maple Valley will have burn barrels out along the park)
For more information visit: www.wdfw.wa.gov or call 360.902.2500
Species Rules: Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife pamphlet, page 17: “No minimum size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit, whether kept or released.”
Fire & Life Safety Tips
• Do wear a lifejacket or other flotation device when on or near the water. Washington State law requires children ages 12 years and younger to wear a Coast Guard approved lifejacket or vest on vessels less than 19’ long.
• Do be aware of your fish hook and where it is at when you are casting
• Do keep combustibles AWAY from open-flames and cooking & heating devices
• Do keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
• Do have a first aid kit readily available.
• Do have a portable multi-purpose fire extinguisher readily available.
• Don’t use unapproved or unlisted LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) devices, such as heaters.
• Don’t use open-flames such as candles, lanterns, kerosene, or LPG devices (such as heaters and cooking devices) inside a confined space such as a tent. Not only is this a fire hazard, it can contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Don’t store LPG or other liquefied fuel devices such as cooking stoves, heaters and lanterns inside of tents.
Puget Sound Fire & Maple Valley Police will be on-site during the Derby
Lake Wilderness Park address is at 22500 SE 248tth Street Maple Valley, WA 98038