Annual Hooked On Fishing Opening Day Trout Derby
Apr 25, 2015 - All day - Apr 25, 2015
Thank you 2017 Big Fish sponsors!
Annual 'Hooked On Fishing' Trout Derby on Lake Wilderness
The Greater Maple Valley - Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with Maple Valley Rotary and the City of Maple Valley, presents the annual celebration of ‘Hooked On Fishing’ Opening Day Trout Season on Lake Wilderness! The fun begins at 3 pm on Friday afternoon with tent camping in Lake Wilderness Park. The fishing derby and Rotary breakfast begin at 12:01am (MIDNIGHT - that’s right!) concluding at noon on Saturday.
The event includes the family trout derby with prizes for almost everyone (derby ticket $2) and the tagged fish derby ($5 ticket must be purchased prior to midnight on Friday, April 21st). Fish school for young anglers 9 and under opens at 6am on the dock. Maple Valley Rotary also fires up the grill for hamburgers and hot dogs at 6pm Friday night.
For this once a year event, the City is allowing limited overnight tent camping in The Park for derby participants only. (NO RV’s please; parking is limited to one space per participant! Additional boat trailer parking will be available at the Maple Valley Community Center) Campers will be able to register and set up campsites beginning at 3pm on Friday evening.
Schedule of Events:
Camping In The Park, register at BECU Tent
|5-9 pm||Hot Dogs & Hamburgers at Rotary Concession Stand|
|6-7 pm||Fun & Games with Fred Meyer!|
|Dusk||Outdoor Movie - Finding Dory - Sponsored by Black Diamond Maple Valley Kiwanis Club|
Tagged Fish Ticket Sales Close
|12:01 am||Derby Begins!|
|Fishermen's Breakfast by Maple Valley Rotary|
|6:00 am||Fish School Opens at the Fish Pen, 9 years old and younger|
|Free Fins & Grins pho op sponsored by RE/MAX Select Real Estate - Tina McDonough and Cody McDonough|
|11:30 am||Must be in line for weigh-in|
|Fish Pond Closes|
|Noon||End of Derby; $2 Ticket Sales Close|
|12:15 pm||Awards sponsored by Les Schwab Tire Centers|
Contact the Chamber of Commerce for more info: 425.432.0222 or email@example.com. Click here for event brochure.
Thank you to our 2017 Sponsors
Fishing Derby Rules 2017
Fishing Derby Rules 2017
There are 4 ways to win in the $2 Derby:
(Must be present to win)
1. “Top 50”
Enter one of the 50 largest trout caught from the lake, (not the net pen fish school). Your fish must be weighed/measured at the official weigh station by noon. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you will select your “quality” top 50 prize in order (biggest fish first) at the end of the derby and surrender your ticket when you pick your prize.
2. “Top 51-100”
Fall in the 51-100 range? Same rules as Top 50 apply but you will select a prize from a special table prior to the unveiling of the Top 50. KEEP YOUR TICKET and surrender it after you pick your prize.
3. “Get It Now”
Choose not to wait and select from the “Get It Now” prize table. Also if/when your fish falls out of the “Top 100” group (as posted at derby headquarters) you should select your prize immediately from this table. All fish caught/entered from the Fish School Net Pen will receive their prize here and surrender your ticket.
4. “It’s Not Over Yet”
All those who caught their fish in Lake Wilderness outside the net pen fish school, AND selected their prize from the “Get it Now” prize table, may enter their derby ticket in this drawing for 5 additional “quality” prizes to be drawn at the end of the derby. Tickets must be deposited before 12:00 noon. ANY SIZE FISH CAN WIN!
The $5 Tagged Fish Ticket
Ticket must be purchased before midnight Friday, April 21, 2017. Tagged fish, if caught, must be accompanied by an official "tagged fish” derby ticket and verified by the derby chairman before 12:00 noon on April 22, 2017. Cash Prize for catching the tagged fish is $300.00.
Tagged Fish Ticket sales begin in early April at these selected locations:
- Johnsons Home & Garden
- BECU in the Maple Valley Town Square
- Wilderness Auto Service & Chevron in Wilderness Village
- Chamber office
All Washington State Fishing Regulations Must Be Obeyed
Fire & Life Safety Tips
Welcome to the 15th annual "Hooked on Fishing” Derby. To ensure that a safe and enjoyable fishing derby continues we have provided this list of Do’s and Dont's:
- DO be aware of where your fishing hook is going when casting.
- DO wear a flotation device when on or near the water, especially children.
- DO keep combustibles AWAY from open flames, cooking and heating appliances.
- DO store liquefied petroleum gas (propane) and/or liquid fuel gas appliances such as cooking stoves, heaters and lanterns securely and safely. Not inside of tents.
- DO keep Matches and Lighters out of the reach of children.
- DO have a First Aid kit readily available.Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) members will be at the park for minor injuries only on Saturday April 22nd from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. For Medical or Fire emergencies dial 9-1-1 to report the emergency.Lake Wilderness Park address is 22500 SE 248th Street.
- DO have a portable 2½-pound multi-purpose fire extinguisher readily available.
- DON'T use un-approved or un-listed propane or liquid fuel gas appliances.
- DON'T use propane or liquid fuel gas appliances inside a confined space such as a tent. Not only is this a fire hazard it can contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- DON'T use candles inside of a tent for illumination.
Maple Valley Fire & Life Safety would like to wish all of the participants, sponsors, and volunteers a very memorable, enjoyable, successful, and above all a safe derby. Click here for 2017 Safety Tips.
Good Luck & Be Safe Please remember NO CAMP FIRES ARE ALLOWED in The Park.
Parking Information for the Derby....
PARKING IS LIMITED! Please respect the ability for all participants to enjoy the derby. With a little planning, there is room for everyone to enjoy this event! Participants are encouraged to carpool and drop off family members who are participating in the event.
- One parking space per vehicle
- Shoulder Parking is available along The Lodge Road and SE 248th.
- There is limited parking available at The Lodge this year - only a few spaces on Friday night in the old Public Works parking lot. But please, park visitors must leave the park at dusk on Saturday.
- VOLUNTEER PARKING ONLY is in the taped off area just south of The Lodge (the old Public Works parking lot)
- THE MEADOW NEAR THE BOAT LAUNCH WILL NOT BE OPEN for boat launch users. Event volunteers will be on hand at the boat launch to facilitate launching of the boats and give further directions on parking.
- Over-flow parking is available at the Maple Valley Community Center. Please do not park directly in front of The Den at the Community Center and Church of the Nazarene located just south of the round a bout by the Community Center.
- No RV Parking!
Registration for camping spots for Friday night is at the top of this page.
Please indicate the number of tents in the comment section.
Thank you 2017 Sponsors!
When & WhereApr 25, 2015 - All day - Apr 25, 2015
LocationLake Wilderness ParkUnited States
22500 SE 248th Street
Maple Valley, 98038