Annual Hooked On Fishing Opening Day Trout Derby
Thank you 2014 Big Fish sponsors!
Annual 'Hooked On Fishing' Trout Derby on Lake Wilderness
The Greater Maple Valley - Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with Maple Valley Rotary and the City of Maple Valley, presents the annual celebration of ‘Hooked On Fishing’ Opening Day Trout Season on Lake Wilderness! The fun begins at 3 pm on Friday afternoon with tent camping in Lake Wilderness Park. The fishing derby and Rotary breakfast begin at 12:01am (MIDNIGHT - that’s right!) concluding at noon on Saturday.
The event includes the family trout derby with prizes for almost everyone (derby ticket $2) and the tagged fish derby ($5 ticket must be purchased prior to midnight on Friday, April 25th). Fish school for young anglers 12 and under opens at 6am on the dock. Maple Valley Rotary also fires up the grill for hamburgers and hot dogs at 6pm Friday night.
For this once a year event, the City is allowing limited overnight tent camping in The Park for derby participants only. (NO RV’s please; parking is limited to one space per participant! Additional boat trailer parking will be available at the Maple Valley Community Center) Campers will be able to register and set up campsites beginning at 3pm on Friday evening.
Schedule of Events:
Camping In The Park, register at BECU Tent
TENT Camping Only! NO RV's!!
||All Derby Tickets On Sale
||Hot Dogs & Hamburgers at Rotary Concession Stand
||Fun & Games with Fred Meyer!
||Beach Camp Fires
Tagged Fish Ticket Sales Close
$2 Tickets on sale until 11:30 AM Saturday
||Fishermen's Breakfast by Maple Valley Rotary
| 6:00 am
||Fish School Opens at the Fish Pen, 12 years old and younger
||Free Fins & Grins photos
||Must be in line for weigh-in
||Fish Pond Closes
||End of Derby; $2 Ticket Sales Close
Contact the Chamber of Commerce for more info: 425.432.0222 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here
for event brochure.
Fishing Derby Rules 2014
There are 3 ways to win a prize with your $2 derby ticket, Must be present to win:
"Top 100”: Enter one of the 100 largest trout caught from the lake, (not the net pen fish school). Your fish must be weighed/measured at the official weigh station by noon. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you will select your "quality” top 100 prize in order (biggest fish first) at the end of the derby and surrender your ticket when you pick your prize.
"Get It Now”: Choose to not wait, and select from the "Get It Now” prize table. Also if/when your fish falls out of the "Top 100” group (as posted at derby headquarters) you should select your prize immediately from this table. All fish caught/entered from the Fish School Net Pen will receive their prize here. You must surrender your ticket when you receive your prize.
"It’s Not Over Yet”: All those who selected from the "Get It Now” table may enter their derby ticket in this drawing for 20 additional "quality” prizes to be drawn at the end of the derby. Tickets must be deposited before 12:00 noon. ANY SIZE FISH CAN WIN!
The $5 Tagged Fish Ticket: Ticket must be purchased before midnight Friday, April 25th, 2014 Tagged fish, if caught, must be accompanied by an official "tagged fish” derby ticket and verified by the derby chairman before 12:00 noon on April 26th, 2014. Cash Prize for catching the tagged fish is $300.00.
All Washington State Fishing Regulations Must Be Obeyed
For more information contact the Greater Maple Valley-Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce, (425) 432-0222, email email@example.com or visit www.maplevalleychamber.org
and click on "Hooked On Fishing”. For State fishing license information, visit www.http://wdfw.wa.gov
or call 360.902.2500. Please note: All participants must exit Lake Wilderness Park at dusk on Saturday. This is an alcohol-free event.
Fire & Life Safety Tips
Welcome to the 12th annual "Hooked on Fishing” Derby. To ensure that a safe and enjoyable fishing derby continues we have provided this list of Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO be aware of where your fishing hook is going when casting.
- DO wear a flotation device when on or near the water, especially children.
- DO keep combustibles AWAY from open flames, cooking and heating appliances.
- DO store liquefied petroleum gas (propane) and/or liquid fuel gas appliances such as cooking stoves, heaters and lanterns securely and safely. Not inside of tents.
- DO keep Matches and Lighters out of the reach of children.
- DO have a First Aid kit readily available.Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) members will be at the park for minor injuries only on Saturday April 26th from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. For Medical or Fire emergencies dial 9-1-1 to report the emergency.Lake Wilderness Park address is 22500 SE 248th Street.
- DO have a portable 2½-pound multi-purpose fire extinguisher readily available.
- DON'T use un-approved or un-listed propane or liquid fuel gas appliances.
- DON'T use propane or liquid fuel gas appliances inside a confined space such as a tent. Not only is this a fire hazard it can contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- DON'T use candles inside of a tent for illumination.
Maple Valley Fire & Life Safety would like to wish all of the participants, sponsors, and volunteers a very memorable, enjoyable, successful, and above all a safe derby. Click here for 2014 Safety Tips.
Good Luck & Be Safe Please remember NO CAMP FIRES ARE ALLOWED in The Park.
Parking Information for the Derby
PARKING IS LIMITED! Please respect the ability for all participants to enjoy the derby. With a little planning, there is room for everyone to enjoy this event! Participants are encouraged to carpool and drop off family members who are participating in the event.
- One parking space per vehicle
- Shoulder Parking is available along The Lodge Road and SE 248th.
- Absolutely NO PARKING in the paved lot adjacent to Lake Wilderness Lodge (violators will be towed)
- VOLUNTEER PARKING ONLY in the upper gravel parking lot south of The Lodge
- THE MEADOW NEAR THE BOAT LAUNCH WILL BE CLOSED to all parking because of the high water table. Boat trailer parking is available at the Maple Valley Community Center and the Church of the Nazarene (24905 Witte Road SE). Leave trailers in either parking lot and park towing vehicles along the shoulders of the road leading to The Lodge (no trailers will be allowed on The Lodge Road)
- Please do not park directly in front of The Den at the Community Center.
- Event volunteers will be on hand at the boat launch to facilitate launching of the boats and give further directions on parking
- No RV Parking!
For questions or concerns, please call the Chamber office at 425.432.0222
Registration below is for reserving camping spots for Friday night.
Please indicate the number of tents in the comment section.
Thank you 2014 Sponsors!