"Hooked On Fishing" Opening Day Trout Derby on Lake Wilderness - last Saturday in April
The Greater Maple Valley - Black Diamond Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with Maple Valley Rotary and the City of Maple Valley, presents the 11th annual celebration of "Hooked On Fishing" Opening Day Trout Season on Lake Wilderness! The fun begins at 3pm on Friday afternoon with tent camping in Lake Wilderness Park. The fishing derby and Rotary breakfast begin at 12:01am (MIDNIGHT - that's right!) concluding at noon on Saturday.
The event includes the trout derby with prizes for almost everyone (derby ticket $2) and the tagged fish derby ($5 ticket must be purchased prior to midnight on Friday, April 26th). Fish school for young anglers 12 and under opens at 6am on the dock. Maple Valley Rotary also fires up the grill for hamburgers and hot dogs at 5pm Friday night.
For this once a year event, the City is allowing limited overnight tent camping in The Park for derby participants only. (NO RV's -parking is limited to one space per participant! Additional boat trailer parking will be available at the Maple Valley Community Center) Campers will be able to register and set up campsites beginning at 3pm on Friday evening.
Tagged Fish Ticket sales begin in early April at these selected locations:
- Johnsons Home & Garden
- BECU in the Maple Valley Town Square
- John L. Scott Maple Valley
- Wilderness Auto Service & Chevron in Wilderness Village.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
||Camping In The Park, BECU tent
||All Trout Derby Tickets On Sale
||Hot Dogs & Hamburgers on sale by Maple Valley Rotary
||Fun & Games with Team Fred Meyer
||Tagged Fish Tickets Close
||Maple Valley Rotary Breakfast until 11:30am
||Fish School at the Fish Pen Opens, 12 yrs, and under
||Free 'Fins & Grins'
||$2 Tickets Sales Close
||Must be in line for Weigh-In
||End of Derby
||Campground Close; Park closes at Dusk
Many thanks to our 2013 Big Fish Sponsors:
- The Fish Pen: Fred Meyer
- The Tagged Fish 'B. Ready': Puget Sound Energy
- Camping In The Park: BECU . . . . more than just money
- Republic Services - Derby Spawnsor
- Fins & Grins: Allstate, The Jenson Agency @ Four Corners
- The Weigh Station: Tahoma School District
- Souvenir Bottled Water: Covington Copy It, Mail It; Wilderness Auto Service & Chevron;
- The Premier Campsite: RE/MAX Tina McDonough
- Fish School: Dr. Scott Bennion, Maple Valley Vision Clinic
- The Bait Station: Republic Services
- The Porta-Potties: Real Life Church; All Service Plumbing
Fishing Derby Rules 2014
There are 3 ways to win a prize with your $2 derby ticket; Must be present to win:
- "Top 100": Enter one of the 100 largest trout caught from the lake, (not the net pen fish school). Your fish must be weighed/measured at the official weigh station by noon. KEEP YOUR TICKET, you will select your "quality" top 100 prize in order (biggest fish first) at the end of the derby and surrender your ticket when you pick your prize.
- "Get It Now": Choose to not wait, and select from the "Get It Now” prize table. Also if/when your fish falls out of the "Top 100” group (as posted at derby headquarters) you should select your prize immediately from this table. All fish caught/entered from the Fish School Net Pen will receive their prize here. You must surrender your ticket when you receive your prize.
- "It’s Not Over Yet": All those who selected from the "Get It Now” table may enter their derby ticket in this drawing for 20 additional "quality" prizes to be drawn at the end of the derby. Tickets must be deposited before 12:00 noon. ANY SIZE FISH CAN WIN!
The $5 Tagged Fish Ticket: Ticket must be purchased before midnight Friday, April 25, 2014. Tagged fish, if caught, must be accompanied by an official "tagged fish" derby ticket and verified by the derby chairman before 12:00 noon on April 26, 2014. Cash Prize for catching the tagged fish is $300.00.
All Washington State Fishing Regulations Must Be Obeyed
Fire & Safety Tips:
- Do be aware of where your fishing hook is going when casting.
- Do wear a flotation device when on or near the water, especially children.
- Do keep combustibles AWAY from open flames, cooking & heating appliances.
- Do store liquefied petroleum gas (propane) and/or liquid fuel gas appliances such as cooking stoves, heaters and lanterns securely and safely.
- Do keep Matches and Lighters out of the reach of children.
- Do have a First Aid Kit readily available. There are Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) at the park for minor injuries. For Medical or Fire emergencies dial 9-1-1 to report the emergency.
- Do have a portable 2 1/2 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher readily available that can be easily moved from your boat to your camping site.
- Don't use un-approved or un-listed propane or liquid fuel gas appliances.
- Don't use propane or liquid fuel gas appliances inside a confined space such as a tent. This is a fire hazard and could contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Don't use candles inside of a tent for illumination.
Maple Valley Fire & Life Safety would like to wish all of the participants, sponsors, and volunteers a very memorable, enjoyable, successful, but above all a safe derby. Good Luck & Have a Safe Time.
Please remember NO CAMP FIRES ARE ALLOWED in the park.
- All minors not participating in the derby are asked to leave The Park after midnight on Friday
- Everyone Camping In The Park must register and obtain an event ID bracelet at the BECU tent near the Beach House.
- All participants must exit Lake Wilderness Park at dusk on Saturday.
- This is an alcohol-free event. See the Maple Valley Youth Council's 'Draw The Line' YouTube message!
- Know the rules and regulations!
- Only electric motors on boats are allowed. Boats equipped with Internal combustion motors are prohibited.